Identity Theft: involves the misuse of another individual’s personal identifiable information for fraudulent purposes.
- Identity theft is the fastest-growing crime in the U.S., affecting 1 in 20 consumers.
Medical Identity Theft: occurs when someone uses an individual’s name and personal identity to fraudulently receive medical services, prescription drugs or goods, including attempts to commit fraudulent billing.
- Medical identity theft affected 2 million people in the U.S. in 2011.
Data Breach: a security incident in which sensitive, protected or confidential data is copied, transmitted, viewed, stolen or used by an unauthorized individual. Data Breaches may involve:
- Credit card numbers
- Personally identifiable information
- Protected health information
- Social Security Number
- Trade secrets
- Intellectual property
Who/What’s at Stake?
An identity is stolen every 3 seconds!
- 5 million Americans were victims of identity theft in 2003.